Monday, February 25, 2013

My Adopted City

I have talked to several people who mentioned having adopted cities around the world - you know, home away from home cities that really grab you and hold on for dear life. I have always wanted to learn Portuguese but never had any reason to until now, so I am officially adoption Porto, Portugal (and Portugal as a country in general).

Nothing in particular was incredibly spectacular, but maybe that's why I liked it so much. It was a normal city, with locals and culture and fantastic food and silly traditions like all countries and cities (should) have. The hostel I stayed in (Yes! Porto Hostel) was incredible and I met several older (27-32) friends there who openly shared their adventures and languages with me. My room had an amazing view or the city center and gave free shots to the guests at 11pm!

The city itself was wonderful as well. I went on two free walking tours with the same guide and feel like I really saw the center in the two days I was there. I attended a Porto football game (soccer for all you Americans) and supported the locals, ate traditional food, went Port wine tasting, bought pastries at the best bakery in the city, and more. I loved it. I love the language, the people, the relaxed atmosphere - I am already planning my trip back!

Quick note: night life was good but not as good as Barcelona, but I had more friends in Spain which probably added to that. Currently in historical and fantastic Roma, Italia! Met a lovely French friend, Michael, and had drinks with my waiter from dinner last night who kept giving me free Lemoncello shots and drew a whipped cream heart on my tiramisu. Oh Italians... They are just as bad as I expected. More updates later!!

-A


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Finding The Lacuna © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates